Top 8 Questions to Ask when Getting a Laptop
Laptops come in handy for many professionals today. They allow you to work anywhere you feel comfortable, be it at home, a coffee shop, or the library.
This is why it is essential to know if you are getting the right kind of laptop for your needs as a professional. Ask yourself the following questions before you head down to the store and get yourself a new laptop.
- How big do you want your screen? Laptops come in a variety of screen sizes. Netbooks and notebooks have smaller screens. If you plan on bringing your laptop with you wherever you go, you’ll probably want a laptop with a smaller screen, as smaller laptops tend to be lighter. But if you are going to substitute a laptop for a desktop computer, it’s best to get a laptop with a standard screen size of 15.6 inches or bigger.
- How heavy should it be? It’s best to choose a model that is lighter if you’re going to be bringing it with you a lot; otherwise a standard laptop could weigh between 2-3 kilograms.
- How much storage space should I need? Different laptops come with hard drives of varying storage capacities. If you have a lot of files, it’s best to choose a hard drive with a bigger storage space so that you can store away freely. Standard laptops have 160 to 500GB of hard drive space for you.
- Do I need a CD or DVD drive? If you’re considering making copies of your files to DVDs, then, yeah, you need a DVD drive. Most standard laptops come with optical drives, but netbooks and notebooks seldom do.
- How much RAM do I need? You need at least 2GB of RAM for your system to work efficiently. If you’re doing standard jobs, like typing and surfing the net, 2GB of RAM is perfect. Keep in mind that the more RAM it has, the more efficient your laptop is at simultaneously running software.
- How many USB ports do I need? Regular laptops come with 2 to 4 USB ports. If you’re going to be using a lot of accessories such as printers, mice, and keyboards, you’ll need a laptop with more USB ports.
- How long will the battery last? Working away from your desk and office means working away from wall sockets. So if you’re going to be working away from your desk, it’s best to get a laptop with a long battery life. The 13.3″ MacBook Pro with Retina display, for instance, has a 9-hour battery life.
- Should I buy accessories? Accessories like mice and keyboards are optional. But if you find yourself hating laptop’s track pads, then, yeah, maybe you should get a mouse for added comfort and ease of use.
Buy smart and don’t just go for whatever is popular at the moment, because what’s popular isn’t necessarily best for your needs. Remember to carefully consider a laptop’s specs before making your choice.